Pages

5.28.2010

Legacy

I was thinking about life today.
Thinking about this blog. Thinking about people. Thinking about Ruben.
Wondering what people think when they read this blog.
Wondering what people say when I come up in conversation.
Wondering what people think when they see a picture of me.
Wondering what people thought when I left Florida to move to Chicago.
Wondering what people here genuinely think of me.

No, I am not conceited.

I was merely pondering these questions as they ran through my mind..

I started to think about life more long term.

After School.
After more years of marriage.
After some kids.
After those big things in life people talk about.

What about after this life full of big things we're supposed to accomplish? I wonder, are people putting more weight on the not-so-big things, and neglecting the real big things?

I think so.

There is such pressure for success in this life that is measured by all the wrong things.

Material things.

What about
Love,
Joy,
Peace,
Patience,
Kindness,
Goodness,
Faithfulness,
Gentleness, and
Self-Control?

What will people say about me when I come up in conversation after I'm gone?
Will they remember me?
Will I have had done something worth remembering?
Will I have treated people the way I should have?
Will people know who I was living for?

Well, those are just some thoughts that came up today.
They reminded me of a song by Nichole Nordeman that I heard quite a while ago.

Nichole Nordeman - Legacy



I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one.



Have you done something great lately?

3 comments:

  1. Good post today, Evie. Something I always struggled with is wanting to know and caring what everyone thought of me. These last few month I've felt God teach me to please Him alone, that those great things are not how people around see me, but loving God with all my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering what people think when they read this blog.
    Evie is so beautiful, reading her blog I can hear her sweet voice. I love her sensitivy to God.
    Wondering what people say when I come up in conversation.
    Evie (let out a sigh) is soo wonderful. She makes everyones life better.
    Wondering what people think when they see a picture of me.
    DANG!!! Evie is gorgeous
    Wondering what people thought when I left Florida to move to Chicago.
    Im proud of her and happy for her
    Wondering what people here genuinely think of me.
    I don't know what people "there" think of you but people "here" like myself are huge fans

    Evie you have touched my life more than you know. You have some encouragement and truth into myself that I will never forget.
    You are a woman who fears and followd the Lord when others don't.
    You see yourself as a quiet calm person but you have always been a leader and always will continue to lead. You lead others by example. An example of what it means to be humble, faithful, and you a great example of a friend to many.
    May the LORD bless you today and give you favor in finding a home for you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber!! I just now saw your comments! I don't know why it didn't show me before!! I LOVE YOU and MISS YOU!!

    ReplyDelete